Sunday, February 13, 2011

Worldly Success and Liberation Hindu Aims

Worldly Success

B.o.B, "Don't Let me Fall," Hip-Hop/Rap, 2010



Liberation

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "O Children," Alternative, 2004




Liberation songs were surprisingly easier to find for me, probably because I listen to classic rock and alternative music the most.  When sitting down to complete this assignment songs kept coming to mind that could fit the liberation category, at least in the sense of American liberation.  Success songs were easier to find once I looked at Hip-Hop. This assignment reenforced for me that some genres have more of a trade mark or stand out theme, but they all certainly still cover a whole plenty of topics.  
The songs I found for worldly success definitely had wealth, fame, and power shinning through their lyrics.  Don’t Let Me Fall by B.o.B fit into the Hindu aim perfectly.  B.o.B sings that he can’t believe he has made it to where he is, that he feels like its a dream.  In his chorus B.o.B repeats “Don’t let me fall,” he knows that at any moment he can lose his fans, lose his wealth, his success.  Most of the songs I can upon spoke of wealth and success but didn’t look at the other side, potentially losing it all because its a constant competition.  I thought B.oB’s song Fame fit well with the Hindu aim by saying everyone whats to be famous, “because everybody just wanna be on MTV or BET. Or maybe season MVP. Or maybe even just prom king or queen.”  
The liberation songs I chose were America’s version of liberation; I found that the songs have to do with getting away from the hassles of life, not necessarily everyday life like a job, but more the stereotypes and hatred placed on you, society not understanding who you truly are, not taking the time to see you, or leaving in order to fulfill dream.  In comparison the the Hindu aim there is one stand out similarity, at the end of the songs the characters/people in it are free from their demons, Hindus are free from samsara.  Obviously the Hindu aim goes further, achieving moksha, our equivalent to salvation.  

I really enjoyed this mini project.  Its a very unique and interesting way to get us thinking about the Hindu aims and what they truly mean.  If I had to choose a aim that I favored working on it would be liberation, because it can interpreted differently throughout cultures.  Pleasure and worldly success were pretty much straight forward, and fit within the Hindu aim like a puzzle piece.  With liberation and community service you had to construed and reason with yourself to see how a particular song fit into their accompanying Hindu aim.  

4 comments:

  1. Actually, you and I have two of the same songs for Libertaion which is awesome because I think they go really well.I also agree that the songs are definately a certain profile of song. Most about love , jobs or just putting their finger up at the man. Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the songs I found on liberation were related to the American version of liberation and had nothing to do with freeing ones soul. You have some good song selections, I also choose Lynyrd Skynrds, "Free Bird".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the aim and theme of liberation can be interpreted differently across different cultures. I feel that modern American music focuses on being free from authority when on the topic of liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had an easier time finding songs about liberation, and it definitely had a lot to do with the genre of music I listen to. I also found it easier to find songs about success in the hip hop genre. Good points.

    ReplyDelete